Passchendaele is located in the "Westhoek", one of the last large open green spaces in Flanders.
It's the best region to enjoy the great outdoors with the many quiet walkroutes, marked cycle routes and green areas.
- the castle park with its fish pond in Zonnebeke
- the public forest "Polygon Wood" in Zonnebeke
- provincial recreation area "De Palingbeek" in Zillebeke
- the West Flanders hills, the Kemmelberg, Red Mountain, Black Mountain
Very typical are the very numerous remains of World War I. In the open area between the farmland you will find many memories of this war:
- the largest English military cemetary in the mainland "Tyne Cot Cemetery" in Passchendaele. You can see this cemetery out the window of our apartment !
- Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 at Zonnebeke (Located within walking distance of our apartment).
- the German military cemetery in Langemark
- the Belgian military cemetery in Houthulst
- the French military cemetery in Ypres
- Poperinge Town hall, with death row and execution pole
- Talbot House
- Iron Tower
- Death Gang
Alos the Cheese Museum Passchendaele is worth a visit.
But for the kids, there will be lots of fun at :
Ypres and the surrounding area offers a variety for the recreative cyclist. At "Zonnebeke Bikes" you can rent good bikes to discover the environment at your own speed.
Walk through the wonderful past of Jules Destrooper and find out everything about the world-famous cookies. In the visitor center you walk through the rich past of Jules Destrooper and learn how the cookies are baked, about the old family recipes and the current production processes. You will of course also have the opportunity to taste the cookie range extensively.